From Autism Transition Handbook

Jump to: navigation, search

Other Financial Resources
General information for all families

PA/DE families click icons for general+state information
Plus PA.png Plus DE.png

Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)

Most states have an energy assistance program. To find more information in your state, click here.

Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)  (Food Stamps)

Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) is the new name for the Food Stamp program. This program provides funding for individuals from low-income households to food.  A debit card (known as an EBT card or Electronic Benefits Transfer card) with a fixed amount of funds is provided to the recipient which can be used at grocery stores to buy food. Almost all food is included except for pre-prepared foods. Toilet paper and other non-food groceries are not included in this program.

For more information, click here for an excellent article on SNAP from Jessica Shahin, Associate Administrator of the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, U.S. Department of Agriculture, Food and Nutrition Service.

To apply for SNAP in your state, please see USDA Food and Nutrition Service website.